The Tip Jar

random smatterings of pool thoughts & articles

October 09, 2005

Conditions Ahead: Foggy

The moment I knew that I had improved and blossomed into a budding fierce player was while, during league one night, I was not playing well at all. I was struggling to make a ball. I was playing someone with a much lower handicap so I had to spot them several games. I hadn't eaten. And, I did not trust my decisions or playing ability one bit. My head felt as if I was driving a car through thick fog with a low battery. I just plain couldn't focus. It was during this match, that I pulled through and worked it out. This would be the first of many matches I would win while knowingly not playing my "A Game." Perhaps you've heard it said before, "It's not how well your A Game is. It's how well your B Game is." How true this statement can be. Being able to work through the fogginess and use what is comfortable to you at the time is what wins more games. Specifically, on these occasions...

  1. Avoid attempting any shot that you just do not feel good about. Instead, look for a safety or lag the ball or another ball in front of a pocket.
  2. Do not try to map out your entire run. Chances are, if your head is already feeling a bit foggy, it will not help to add more congestion to the mess. Try to just stick to 2-3 ball runs and make the best of what you end up with.
  3. Make sure the last thought that crosses your mind before shooting each shot is, "making the ball." Again, if your head is cloudy, try to keep it simple.
  4. Do not shoot too hard. Chances are, you may be able to block a pocket if you miss. It might even be one your opponent needs.
  5. If all else fails, make it hard on them. If you can't get out, make it as hard as possible for your opponent to get out. Don't be afraid to lock up your balls with theirs and make them work for it. If your opponent has a lot of break outs to attempt, they could get into some trouble. You might even get lucky.
  6. And, for Pete's sake... Do what you need to do! If you're thirsty, get some water. If you're hungry, get a snack. If you have an itch, scratch it! If you need to go to the bathroom, then go. All these variables are just more unnecessary distractions to deal with.
About a year ago, "not playing well" for me would include not only missing shots, but making stupid decisions that would inevitably cost me the match. Today, when I'm not playing well, I can still win games because I am aware of this and I make the most of it. Moral of the story: Your battery may be low, but you have a full tank of gas, some good CD's, and you're almost home. Drive more cautiously if you need to, but just keep driving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home